In 2020, the global community will mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women and adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995). A five-year milestone will be reached towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. 2020 is therefore a pivotal year for the accelerated realization of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls, everywhere.
Participating in UNCSW is a primary opportunity for IIWR-MB to contribute to the global dialogue regarding the status of women within the United Nations framework. It is also provides a platform for meeting with international partners and an opportunity to influence domestic policy as Federal Ministers are in attendance at the session.
The 64th session of the Commission on the Status of Women is March 9 to 20, 2020 in New York.
With ECOSCO Status, IIWRMB can send up to 20 delegates. The application process is now open and DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS DECEMBER 1, 2019.
All IIWR-MB members are welcome to apply.
Join the IIWRMB CSW64 Facebook Group to stay informed. Email us and request an invitation to join the group.
Criteria to be Delegation Member
Priority will be given to applicants who:
- are active members of IIWR-MB
- have an active interest in Women’s rights, as demonstrated by their studies and/or volunteer and community work
- are able to meet the expectations as listed below
Responsibilities of Selected Delegates:
- Maintain an ACTIVE membership within IIWR-MB until March 2021 at a minimum. This can include board membership, committee membership, or participating and assisting at events.
- Participate as an ACTIVE member of the delegation, both before the CSW and after the Commission.
- Participate in meetings and de-briefings related to CSW64 organized by IIWR-MB, both before and after the CSW. Telephone conferencing is an option for those unable to attend in person.
- Add reports, experiences, pictures, etc. to the IIWR-MB blog (NEWS) and other social media platforms while at CSW and after. Contributing a minimum one blog post is expected (see NEWS).
- Participate in reporting back to the wider community shortly after CSW64.
- Provide support when requested before, during, and after CSW for CSW related events.
Monday, March 9 – Friday, March 20, 2020. Registration begins two days before.
You do not have to attend the whole 2 weeks of the CSW. Generally, the first week has the most activities, and coming early to attend the Consultation Day is suggested for first timers. Consultation Day, organized by NGOs, will be held Sunday, March 8. There is a fee for this event.
The CSW is held in New York, New York. Some events happen in the United Nations building. Many of the Parallel Events happen in other venues near the UN.
Attendance at UNCSW is totally self-funded.
Bursaries are available for students studying human rights at Global College, University of Winnipeg. The application for student bursaries will be available following the announcement of the delegation members.
Delegates are welcome to independently raise funds to support their attendance.
It is recommended that delegates budget for a minimum of $1500.00 Canadian, depending on how long you intend to stay. Costs include airfare, accommodations, food, special events costs. Parallel Events are free.
- make their own travel and accommodation arrangements (IIWRMB will help with recommendations)
- prepare by attending IIWRMB orientation and support the lead up to CSW
- participate in CSW activities and events as wholeheartedly as possible
- commit to contributing to sharing information while at CSW on social media, etc.
- actively participate in reporting back
- support IIWRMB post CSW events
- maintain active involvement in IIWRMB for at least one year post CSW
December 1, 2019. Decisions on applications are expected by December 10, 2019.
The IIWRMB Board will make decisions on the delegation. IIWRMB can send up to 20 delegates. In previous years, the delegation was larger because sister organizations had unused spots, but that is not as likely to occur in this 25th anniversary year. IIWRMB delegates will be chosen using the criteria outlined on the website and in the application form.
Anyone can attend the NGO Parallel Events without delegate status, however only delegates have access to the United Nations building where the official meetings and some Side Events occur (events hosted by UN Agencies or Governments). Permission to enter the UN building for non-delegates is possible but it requires initiative and is not guaranteed.
Parallel Events are organized by NGOs, and focus on specific topics. IIWRMB has hosted 3 Parallel Events in the past, using a panel format. We hope to host a Parallel Event in 2020, and this gives support for local issues to be raised in a global context. Other events happen at the CSW, including Side Events (hosted by UN Agencies and Governments) and the official Government meetings.
Thanks to all those who submitted an application. The delegation will be announced soon.
For those not chosen to be on the official Delegation: Anyone can attend the NGO Parallel Events without delegate status, although only delegates have access to the United Nations building where the official meetings and some Side Events occur (events hosted by UN Agencies or Governments). Permission to enter the UN building for non-delegates is possible but it requires initiative and is not guaranteed.
As documents become available they will be posted here.
- Canada’s National Report on the Beijing Declaration and the Platform for Action: https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/Gender/ENG_Beijing_25-Canada_National_Review_Report-FinalEng.pdf
- Unfinished Business: A Parallel Report on Canada’s Implementation of the Beijing Declaration and the Platform for Action, prepared by Canadian NGO’s including IIWR-MB.
- There is a Regional Meeting of NGO’s happening in Geneva, October 29th and 30th. This provides an opportunity for NGOs in our region to collectively come up with strategies and priorities. See more here.
IIWR-MB will have a delegation going to the CSW64, March 2020 in New York.
Parallel Event Panel
PANEL THEME TO BE ANNOUNCED
IIWR-MB will make an application to hold a parallel event.