Girls and women must be front and center of, and included in the decision making of local, national and global emergency responses.
– 2018 and 2019 G7 Gender Equality Advisory Councils
Feminist Response to Covid-19
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Join us, as part of our 16 Days of Activism Campaign, to discuss what a feminist response to COVID looks like within Manitoba from your perspective. We will be discussing how to apply a Gender-Based Analysis Plus in Manitoba and how to adapt our calls to action from the spring to respond to communities needs. Due to current restrictions, these sessions will be occurring virtually via Zoom.
Where: Online via Zoom
When: December 7th from 7 – 8:30 PM CST
Register in advance using this link. https://bit.ly/3mp2fMc
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic and consequential shutdown of many part of the world, resulting in a direct impact of women, girls and 2SLGBTQ++ folxs, IIWR-Mb has launched our call for a Feminist Response to COVID-19 in Manitoba. This campaign had three original parts:
- Our Manitoba campaign calling for a feminist response to COVID-19 through our open letter listed below that was sent May 25th. Followed by an ongoing letter writing campaign launched May 27th and an op-ed written by Leah Wilson published May 31st.
- A social media campaign posting regularly to promote national and international campaigns calling for feminist response to COVID-19 around the world.
- An updated resource list, located at the bottom of this page, with campaigns, initiatives and actions from around the globe for visitors to support and share.
Scroll through and support us and other amazing organizations in this unprecedented time.
KEEP THe Momentum Going
The COVID-19 pandemic is disproportionately impacting our most marginalized populations — including women, girls and gender-diverse people– and this impact requires an intersectional feminist approach in legislation, policies and programs. This is why we are calling on the Government of Manitoba to ensure that these folks are not left behind as we address and emerge from this crisis. If ignored, the COVID-19 pandemic will exacerbate gender inequities, decreasing the ability of women, girls and gender-diverse people to survive in the province.
Media Coverage of the Campaign
CTV News May 25, 2020
Winnipeg Free Press May 20, 2020
CBC May 31, 2020
We need you to SEND A LETTER TO YOUR MLA CALLING FOR a FEMINIST RESPONSE TO COVID-19
Take your commitment one step further and send the following letter via e-mail to your MLA by following the steps outlined below.
- Copy and paste the letter below into your e-mail,
fill in the required information and personalize it!
- Find your MLA by clicking the red button below and selecting your electoral division or entering your address.
- Click “Contact my MLA”
- Use the e-mail listed on their page to e-mail them your letter.
- Feel free to cc other elected officials in your call.
Should you have any issues or questions, feel free to contact us email@example.com.
Dear [Title, Name of your MLA],
My name is [your name] and I am writing to call for a feminist response to COVID-19 in the province of Manitoba.
I want to begin by thanking you and your colleagues for guiding the province through this unprecedented time. While we have seen a unifying of community during this crisis, we also know vulnerable Manitobans have been and will continue to be disproportionately impacted, including women, girls, and gender-diverse people. As during all times of societal and economic change, impacts are gendered.The COVID-19 pandemic is disproportionately impacting our most marginalized populations — including First Nations, Inuit and Métis women, women with disabilities, women of colour, black women, women who are experiencing homelessness, newcomer or refugee women, female-headed households and women with precarious immigration status. The response to address these impacts requires an intersectional feminist approach in legislation, policies and practice. I am asking you to ensure these folks are not left behind as we emerge from this crisis.
If neglected, the COVID-19 pandemic will exacerbate gender inequities, decreasing the ability of women, girls and gender-diverse people to survive in the province.
Therefore, I join my voice with many others to ask you and your colleagues to implement a feminist response to the COVID-19 pandemic and:
- Immediately Apply a Gender-Based Analysis Plus (GBA+) to all COVID-19 Responses and Initiatives.
- Immediately End Cuts to Public Services, Crown Corporations, and Not-for-Profits.
- Establish Universal Child Care in Manitoba.
- Establish a Living Wage for all Manitobans.
- Immediately Increase EIA by $300.00.
- Establish Paid Sick Leave for All Workers.
I write in support of the letter sent by the Institute for International Women’s Rights – Manitoba on May 25th, 2020 to Premier Brian Pallister and Minister Cathy Cox, calling for a feminist response to the Covid-19 pandemic in Manitoba.
I look forward to your response and the action you will take to respond to these calls throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic and beyond.
Sincerely,[your name][your email address] [your location]
cc: The Honourable Brian Pallister, Premier of Manitoba
cc: The Honourable Cathy Cox, Minister Responsible for the Status of Women
Check out our calls to actions on social media!
National and International Resources, Campaigns, & Actions calling for feminist responses to covid-19
Click on the text below for a link to the resource.